First off, epic fail on taking two months off! Hopefully everyone had a relaxing end to 2015 and your 2016 is off to a great start! The survey results are in and I was pretty impressed with what i saw. A majority of you that took it either said you think about retirement all the time, or said that you aren’t really sure where to start. Seeing that backed my reason for starting this blog. I want to help you understand what to do with your money and how to have less financial stress. Now you’re probably asking- well Alex, how do I do that? Let me give you a little outline and we can dive deeper in the coming weeks. Goal for 2016: AT LEAST one post a week!
1. SAVE OFTEN - Everyone has different beliefs on this. Some people will tell you "live for today” or “live for the moment", while others will tell you to save everything and lock down your financial security. Truth is, this varies from person to person. I want to start by laying a foundation, which will allow you to create a savings plan of your own that fits your income and lifestyle.
2. BUDGET - This is important. I don’t care how successful you are or how much money you make. If you don’t know where your money is going every month, then you are not in control of your financial situation. I’ll share my budgeting tool, show you a few I use (mint.com) and open your eyes to just how easy it is to take control.
3. INVEST - But Alex, I don’t know anything about the stock market or investing! Thats ok too! There are numerous ways to invest. I’ll walk through the basics of workplace retirement plans, stock investment and investing in yourself. Yes - investing in yourself is a valuable investment, one of the most important!
4. HAVE FUN - Life is short, and it goes fast. Appreciate the people in your life, and don’t be afraid to live. I’ll show you the system I’ve developed to keep my personal spending in check and give you a few ideas on what may work for you.
5. ASK QUESTIONS - If you have any questions at all, on anything, no matter how well I know you or don’t know you. There is no such thing as a dumb question. I started this blog for the purpose of helping people get their shit straight! E-mail is Alex@lifeaftergrad.com Also - if there is anything you want me to cover on the blog, or have a suggestion - drop me a note with it.